Saturday, September 27, 2008

Sheet Rock & Insulation

Tuesday: September 23, 2008

Far Reach

Wednesday: September 24, 2008


Drywall Project (Training Day 8) Thursday: September 25, 2008
Shingle Escalator
Roof Vent Installation

Friday: September 26, 2008

Sheet Rockers

Another fun week on the site. Started off the week with insulation. The group I worked with was small, only three, but a lot got done finishing up most of the attic spaces for the third floor of one of the homes. It helps to have an architect and engineer working together. After an entire day with my head back putting in stuffy insulation I got a fair share up my nose clinging to my nostrils. It was wonderful getting back to the house later to blow it out the right way.

This Thursday for training we learned how to do roofing. It's a lot like waterproofing a house with the crinkly plastic wrap from the bottom up. It's very straight forward and a lot like people I see who knit they don't have to think. And it's hard for that reason too since sometimes it's easy to forget that you missed a row until it looks funny an hour later. It was extremeley hot being up there for the whole day. It was only in the 80's but leaning and hammering in shingles over black tar with the sun beating down made it seem like 100! Later that evening I discovered my beautiful sunburned shoulders.

For the rest of the week it was an ongoing project of finishing up drywall in some of the more complete homes. For me it's a bit of a challenge to find out the best approach of teaching technique for drywalling. But I'm glad I had an entire week to work on it, because I'm finding what works and what doesn't.

No comments: