Friday, September 5, 2008

Training Day 4: Hardy Plank Siding

Americorp Tools and Goodies!
Dawn's Siding Explanation
Shearing Demonstration

Up on the Scaffolds!
Assembly Line
Preparing Siding
Tack Hammers (Look More Like Pez Dispensers)
Insulation
Window Sealing
Lunch Break (That's Bob, one of the Regular Volunteers)
Bathroom Meat & Bones
Mary Rolling Out Water Proofing
Ken Hammering (Yeah, that hammer is my eye!)
Z-Flashing Detail
Story Pole

Through the Cracks
We were up on the scaffolding most the day today. For the first part of the day we learned how to cut and install siding. At first it was a bit slow as we learned how to use the shears, a nice tool since it doesn't involve anything sharp and spinning fast!
We also got some of our very own special Americorp equipment today which was a real treat, and we still have more coming in. I can't wait to really decorate my hat up all fancy. Any suggestions? I'm thinking of doing blue and green spirals in nail polish. Let me know if that is just crazy.
Today I met my first family member working on site to complete there "sweat equity" hours, which each family does as a contribution with habitat and being able to own their own homes. I'm excited to meet more of the families coming out to help.
For the latter half of the day we spent redoing and putting up waterproofing around one of the houses and fitting the windows with metal z-flashing strips. There are 8 homes total. It was a little bit of a puzzle. For me I hear the horror stories of mold, and it's something I'm deathly afraid of. So I made sure to be very careful things covered up the right way. It's nice to say I'm starting to feel more comfortable making those on the spot decisions, and remembering I can just pull out my tape measure from my tool belt and making quick modifications as they come.

No comments: