Saturday, September 6, 2008

Training Day 5: Volunteers!

Volunteer Talk
Habitat Families

Ready to Work!
Volunteer Siding Demonstration

Helping Hands

50 Feet Above!
Rooftop
Chalk Mark
Scaffold Break

Day of Hard Work

First day with actual volunteers. Today we had a few different companies come to help. It was great seeing everyone in their work outfits and tennis shoes all ready for a Saturday of hard work, and did it get hot!

Everyone was assigned to different groups for the day. My group was responsible for siding. I was impressed how quickly everyone caught on from the brief demonstration we gave. We had one group cutting the pieces to size on the ground level while the other group helped install them on the houses. If there's one thing I want to become good at it is to look ahead and build the steps so that the volunteers can keep moving forward without delay. My team was great and climbed sometimes than I could keep up. But by the end of the day I think everyone was happy after we had completed an entire wal and half.

It's nice to see how much people want to come out and help. At first I thought it would be harder teaching volunteers, but I'm surprised how well everyone caught on.


No comments: