Friday, October 31, 2008

Americorps Orientation: Taladega, Alabama

Boeing 767 (My First Ever!)
Airport Terminal 4am
High Tech Seats
First Light
Nascar
Humble Abode Trees!
Me & Christina
Cafeteria
Peddle Boating
Americorps Hoodies
Sunshine

Shocco Spring's Lake
Framing Frenzy
Sitting Fish
Cafeteria Row
Square Dance

Through Trees

Take Off!
Home & Halloween! Bay Bridge Lights

I'm back from a beautiful weekend in Alabama. We had an Americorps Conference there in Shocco Springs outside small town Taladega. I packed most of the night before leaving, and got little sleep before our 3am shuttle to the San Francisco airport. I definitely tried getting some sleep on the plane, but was too hard in the cramped and slippery leather seats. I can't imagine how awkward I must have looked to the other people as I tried curling myself up with my head flopped out into the middle row and the food trailer passing by.
After landing, we spent two hours on Hwy 402 into Taladega (sleeping was much easier in cushy bus seats.) The actual town of Taladega had a little gas station and waffle house, but I knew even in the middle of it we had reached civilization when we rolled on by the golden arches of McDonalds into Shocco Springs.

On first impression I wasn't quite sure what to make of Shocco Springs, other than it being a Christian retreat isolated in the middle of tall colorful trees. I quickly realized how underprepared I was packing for the trip once stepping outside from the bus in my chacco's. There's nothing like cool Alabama air! The Americorps hoodies they gave us for the conference came in handy.


For the fact of being in Shocco I really got the most of my time spent in Taladega. I met some extrordinary people, both wonderful and inspiring. It's been too long since I've bowled, and I can't say that I've ever sang a happy birthday up on the top some hill with trees and stars in the middle of the night before, even a dash of square dancing to throw in. After this experience it feels like a thousand warm butterfly wings filling the air I breath. So refreshing!

No comments: