Saturday, October 18, 2008

Welcome Americorp!

Saturday, October 18, 2008: Smooth Edges

Ladder Step Invention (No Nails Needed!)
Dusty Dry Mud
Friday, October 17, 2008: Siding
Joe with Shears
Hammering it Up
The Siders
After Work "Milagros" with Cisco

(Training Day 10) Thursday, October 16, 2008: I Love CPR & SFMOMA
Look, Listen, Feel
Counter Clockwise: (Dawn, Darrel, Luke, Jim)
SFMOMA at Last!
Wednesday, October 15, 2008: Bloody Knuckles
Through Felt

"Team Karen" by shirt default
Tuesday, October 14, 2008: Shingle Cut

This week I did a whole lot. First let me say welcome Joe, Luke and Darrel, our final Americorp to join us helping run volunteer groups. For the first couple days they learned the details of each skill by helping lead crews with us. It was a bit challenging, a balance between giving the volunteers the basics they needed in order to start their own work and making sure the Americorp got the full version to effectively manage their own crews later.
To the start the week I was with a group on the rooftops getting the shingles all ready for solar paneling installment for Friday. It was slow work, since we had to make cuts and go back to fill in some of missing patches of shingles before we could move forward. I'm so glad we finished since my thumbs are so sore from retracting my sticking tarred blade over again after every use. I've got a pretty patch of knuckle scabs too from handling the heavy sheets of shingles with rough sandpaper sides. I've got to be careful not to accidentally hammer them when I'm putting in nails or they start bleeding all over again.
Later in the week we had our training on CPR and First Aid. Ironically I just had a training on it just before I started work for Habitat. It was a nice refresher. We got off work early and the Americorp house decided to take a trip into the city to visit the SFMOMA. Joe and I decided to ride our bikes, despite the fact that it was a 30+ mile ride. El Camino was a bit rough and I feel rotten since I made plans to meet a friend there and we got lost somewhere in south San Francisco. Remind me never to use my cell phone navigation system. We finally did make it 45 minutes before SFMOMA closing time. Sometimes getting lost is important to findingyour way. It's something you can rely on completely. Having a perfect trip with no kinks, not so much.
In a week I head out to Alabamba for an Americorp conference with another 200 Americorp across the nation. I've never been, and I'm not quite sure what to expect. But I'm sure there will be lots of fun!

No comments: